Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Stray Pet Peeve

I really don't know if I have a solution for this or not, but I have beef to pick with folks who "pre-excuse" their behavior. They usually preface a sentence with "I apologize ahead of time for the way I will act." Most women will blame it on PMS. I don't believe that this is a valid reason for acting inappropriately, even if you do apologize for it ahead of time. Doesn't that mean you are planning to act ugly to someone? Is this premeditation? Would this sort of statement get a murderer off at trial? "I am sorry ahead of time for those I will brutally kill today." Apologies before hand are not true apologies, they are plans. Maybe if we spent more time controlling our actions and less on pre-excuses we would not have to apologize at all.

Moral of this story: I am sorry ahead of time if I offended anyone.

No comments: