Friday, August 27, 2004

Sign me up

Okay we are going to take a look at the issue of church membership. Most people have a very weird idea of what church membership means, and they miss out on what God wants to do with them. I went to college about 45 minutes away and then I went on to pursue a graduate degree in TX. I moved into a dorm at both schools. I found a church during my undergrad schooling in which I was on staff, but when I went to TX I didn't work on staff at a church so I had to find one to "plug-in-to." My school gave us one semester to find a church and join. Some of you would have a problem with that. You would whine..."I don't want to leave my home church," that you only go to rarely now that you have moved away. "It will be dropping all the people who love me," those people would understand if you are following where God leads.

Now to get down to it...watch your toes! Do you want to be considered an adult when you go to college? Most of the college students are 18 and over, so act like it. Make a decision. Cut the apron strings. Follow God with your own faith and not relying on Mom or Dad's to surfice for you too. Church membership is simply joining in with a group of like-minded belivers to follow the vision God has given for that church. Most people think that church membership is a permanet venture, they are getting that confused with salvation. In Jeremiah 40 before 40:31 the "Graduation verse", God speaks to the exiles and tells them to build, plant, eat, marry... In other words He says grow where you are without holding back. When we hold back somethings and give fully in others are we really truly abandoning ourselves for God to use as instruments? I don't think our tune will be as pleasant. College years are suppose to be an opportuntity for young men and women to prove themselves as adults.

Moral of this story: Grow up and Join God where He is working.

No comments: