Monday, November 21, 2005

Chances

What have you been training for? What has life put in your path that you have used years down the road? Has life taken a direction you didn't expect only to pickup experience you would of never had? Have you ever been given a chance? My journey so far has been ... um... odd. I went from from Georgia to Texas to Georgia to South Carolina over the last ten years. I have worked in 4 cities, 8 job positions, & 5 different churches. While in Texas at school, I worked in the Landscaping department. I mowed grass. Later, I was promoted and put in charge of an entire crew of men and women. I was to direct and maintain the landscaping for the main campus (that dealt with the lawn itself) and some of the off campus housing. I was put in a position of leadership. Wierd I know, I was shy and quiet. I wasn't trained in the finer points of landscaping. I never had experience in this type of work. The higher-ups took a chance. We had several events on campus as well as interesting seasonal events that directly affected the lawns. My crew was outstanding! We prefected the aspect of speed, accuracy, and dependability. Later that year I was honored with an award for leading this crew. I was given a chance and had awesome people working with me. Since this I have taken other positions where people have given me chances to lead and have seen things happen around me that were incredible. I love to lead. Coming along side people with a shared goal; it is intoxicating. Thank you to those who gave me a chance. Thank you for noticing that I was being prepared for the future. Thank you for passing on your wisdom and legacy to me. Thank you God for leading me everyday and being the best example of a leader ever!

Ok, now the application. People who consider themselves as leaders...Who have you given a chance to? Who have you paid close enough attention to notice potential? If you cannot name anyone, then maybe you are not the leader you think you are. Does you legacy die with you and your accomplishments or do they live within others you have passed wisdom to? Do you even have a legacy worth leaving with others? Wow this is a chunk to swallow, especially for me. I need to go an search for potential in others now.

No comments: